Lactobacillus acidophilus or L. acidophilus is a probiotic (good bacteria). Yogurt is made with milk using live & active cultures, which can contain different varieties of probiotics. The live cultures help milk ferment to create that creamy yogurt texture you love.
In order for a bacteria to be technically defined as a probiotic, it must provide a health benefit to the body. Lactobacillus acidophilus is classified as a probiotic because it provides several benefits that can greatly benefit the body.
Lactobacillus acidophilus Benefits
- Lactose Intolerance – While dairy is known to be the main culprit behind lactose intolerance, probiotics like Lactobacillus acidophilus may actually help reduce the symptoms when eating yogurt containing probiotics. According to the U.S. National Institutes of Health, “Studies have shown that people with lactose intolerance tolerated the lactose in yogurt better than the same amount of lactose in milk. The assumption was that the presence of lactase producing bacteria in the yogurt, especially Lactobacillus acidophilus, contributed to the digestion and absorption of lactose.”
- Diarrhea Aid – There is evidence to suggest that Lactobacillus acidophilus can help alleviate or prevent diarrhea, but more studies need to be completed.
- Vaginal Infections – Evidence suggests that consuming Lactobacillus acidophilus can help relieve the symptoms associated with yeast infections. This may be particularly helpful when a woman is taking antibiotics. Antibiotics can kill the good bacteria in the body making it difficult to fend off a yeast infection.
- Asthma – Studies have shown some signs of probiotics treating asthma, but further research needs to be completed.
- Strengthen Immune System – Studies indicate that Lactobacillus acidophilus has the ability to strengthen the immune system by increasing cells that are responsible for protecting the body from diseases and infections.
- Constipation – Consuming Lactobacillus acidophilus has been shown to decrease the need for laxatives in elderly patients who were seeking relief from constipation. It is believed to help rebalance the digestive system.
- Cholesterol Reduction – Studies reflect that Lactobacillus acidophilus has the ability to reduce cholesterol by preventing it from absorbing into the body. This can help reduce heart disease, stroke, and other side effects from high cholesterol.
Lactobacillus acidophilus Yogurt Brands
Yogurt manufacturers will commonly provide the live cultures or probiotics on their labels. If not on the label, you can check the company’s website, which often has more detailed information on the product. However, below we have provided a list of popular brands that currently contain Lactobacillus acidophilus. For the most current information, check the label or with the manufacturer to verify the product/brand still contains Lactobacillus acidophilus.
- Stonyfield Organic
- Brown Cow
- Wallaby Organic
- Kalona Super Natural
- Mountain High
- Nancy’s Organic
- Yo Crunch
- The Greek Gods
- Red Wood Hill Farm
- Horizon Organic
- Straus Family Creamery
- Clover Organic
- Green Valley Organics