Is Yogurt Gluten-Free?
The primary sources of gluten are wheat, barley, rye, and triticale. Plain yogurt is commonly made from milk and/or cream, and live active cultures. All of these ingredients are gluten-free.
Although plain yogurt is almost always gluten-free, other types of yogurt with mix-ins or toppings may not be gluten free. Unfortunately, we cannot classify yogurt as being gluten-free as a whole. If you have recently looked at your grocery store yogurt section, you probably realize why. There is an overwhelming selection of yogurt available with varying ingredients.
Gluten-Free Yogurt Brands/Products
The below list the provides information or whether or not a yogurt contains gluten. When available, we provided the manufacturers statement on the gluten (or lack thereof) in their yogurt. You will find that the majority of products below are gluten-free per the manufacturers.
- Fage – The following products are listed as being gluten-free: Classic Total Yogurt, Total 0%, Total 2%, Total Classic & Split Cups with Fruit or Honey, Total 2% Classic & Split Cups with Fruit or Honey, Total 0% Classic & Split Cups with Fruit or Honey.
- Chobani – Per Chobani, “Chobani Greek Yogurt varieties, with the exception of our CHOBANI “FLIP” variety and CHOBANI SIMPLY 100 Crunch are naturally gluten-free. This means they contain no wheat, rye, barley or other gluten-containing ingredients.”
- Liberte – Per the company website, “Our products are not made with any ingredients that contain gluten. We conduct rigorous internal testing to confirm that all of our products are gluten free.”
- Stonyfield Organic – Per the company, “All of our yogurts, smoothies, and soy yogurts, except the YoTot flavors made with cereal, are certified gluten-free.”
- Siggi’s – The company states “Yes, all our products are gluten free. They contain no wheat, barley, rye, or triticale, and we do not use gluten as a food additive in the form of a flavoring, stabilizing or thickening agent. Our products are certified gluten-free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO).”
- Voskos – Voskos indicates that “VOSKOS Greek Yogurt is hormone-free, gluten-free, and Kosher certified.”
- Cabot – All yogurt products on their website are listed as gluten-free. These products include Plain Greek Yogurt, Lowfat Coconut Greek Yogurt, Lowfat Plain Greek Yogurt, Lowfat Honey Greek Yogurt, Lowfat Strawberry Greek Yogurt, Lowfat Vanilla Bean Greek Yogurt, and Nonfat Plain Yogurt.
- Brown Cow – The company says, “Yes. Our gluten-free certification tells folks with gluten intolerance (celiac disease) that they can enjoy our yogurts without worry.”
- Dreaming Cow – They state “None of our products contain gluten.”
- The Greek Gods – “The Greek Gods brand products are gluten-free, kosher and non GMO.”, per the company website.
- Mountain High – All products are gluten-free per their website.
- Nancy’s – Per Nancy’s, “Yes, all of Nancy’s Cultured Dairy and Soy Products are gluten-free.”
- Noosa – “Yes, noosa is naturally gluten-free!”, per the company.
- Redwood Hill Farm – Per Redwood, “Redwood Hill Farm dairy products do not contain any gluten. At our certified organic creamery, we do not produce any products that contain gluten. Yogurt, kefir and cheese are naturally low glycemic foods.”
- Tillamook – The company states, “All of our cheese, yogurt, sour cream and butter products are gluten-free.”
- Wallaby – “Yes. All of our products have been tested and found to be gluten-free. We also recently became certified gluten-free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO).”, per Wallaby’s website.
- Zoi Greek Yogurt – Zoi states, “Yes, it is completely gluten-free. It’s perfect for vegetarians, too.”
- Yoplait – Click here for their list of gluten-free yogurt products.
- Dannon Whole Milk Yogurt: The following flavors are certified gluten-free per the company website: Blueberry, Cherry, Mixed Berry, Peach, Raspberry, Strawberry Banana, Strawberry, Vanilla.
- Dannon Fruit on the Bottom: Gluten-free flavors are as follows: Blueberry, Cherry, Mixed Berry, Peach, Raspberry, Strawberry, Strawberry Banana.
- Dannon Classics – Gluten-free flavors as follows: Coffee, Vanilla, Strawberry, Strawberry Banana.
- Dannon All-Natural – Gluten-free products are as follows: Plain Lowfat, Plain Nonfat, Plain.
- Dannon Creamy – Gluten-free products are as follows: Strawberry, Strawberry Banana.
- Straus Family Creamery – The company indicates, “Our certified organic dairy products are Non-GMO Project Verified, certified kosher and gluten free.”
- Zen Monkey – Not gluten-free per the company website.
- Kemps – Per the company, “Kemps products including milk, sour cream, cottage cheese and yogurt are gluten free.”
- Green Valley Organics – Green Valley states “Our dairy products do not contain gluten. Yogurt, kefir, sour cream and cream cheese are naturally gluten free. At our certified organic creamery, we do not produce products that contain gluten.”
- Yoatz – “Yes! Our products are tested regularly for gluten and we use a certified gluten-free oat.”
While we intend to keep this list updated, please check the product packaging or with the manufacturer to verify a product is still gluten-free. As with other store-bought foods, ingredients or manufacturing can change, which can cause a product to no longer be considered gluten-free.