Question: Does sherbet have dairy?
Answer: The ice cream section of your grocery store can be a bit overwhelming with all of the choices available. You have regular ice cream, gelato, sorbet, sherbet, frozen yogurt and other types of desserts. When it comes to the ingredients of these products, it is easy to get confused on what ingredients are in each product. Sherbet is one of those products that many people are not so sure about what is in it. Specifically, it is often wondered if sherbet has dairy or if it is dairy-free. Let’s take a look at sherbet’s ingredients.
The common main ingredients of sherbet are water, sugar, fruit flavors, corn syrup, and milk or cream. Yes, sherbet does contain milk as an ingredient.
To confirm sherbet has dairy we took a sample of the ingredients from various sherbet products. You will notice that all products reflect milk or cream (dairy) as an ingredient.
- Friendly’s – Raspberry, Orange, Lemon: water, milk, sugar, corn syrup, raspberry puree, cream, orange puree (orange pulp, orange juice concentrate, natural flavor, pectin, citric acid), lemon puree (water, lemon pulp, concentrated lemon juice, corn syrup, natural flavor), citric acid, high fructose corn syrup, natural flavor, guar gum, carob bean gum, mono and diglycerides, disodium phosphate, karaya gum, pectin, yellow 6.
- Kemps Rainbow Sherbet: water, sugar, corn syrup, flavor bases (water, juice concentrates [lemon , lime, orange], orange and lime pulp, citric acid, natural flavors, polysorbate 80, yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, blue 1, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup ), whey, nonfat milk, cream*, carob bean gum, guar gum, mono and diglycerides, methyl cellulose, pectin, citric acid, annatto color. *contributes a negligible amount of fat
- Great Value Rainbow Sherbet: water, sugar, corn syrup, nonfat milk, whey, fruit purees (concentrated orange juice, concentrated lime juice, concentrated lemon juice, water, natural flavors, orange pulp, gum tragacanth, yellow 6, turmeric for color, blue 1, citric acid), citric acid, methylcellulose, carob bean gum, karaya gum, pectin, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 1. allergy warning: contains milk. may contain traces of eggs, almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, coconut, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios, walnuts, peanuts, wheat and soy.
- Hood Orange Sherbet: water, milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, buttermilk, concentrated orange juice, whey, natural flavor, citric acid, locust bean gum, guar gum, mono & diglycerides, cellulose gum, polysorbate 80, annatto extract (for color), red 40.
- Edy’s Grand Sherbet, Berry Rainbow: skim milk, sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, cream, orange juice concentrate, fruit juice concentrate (apple juice concentrate, pear juice concentrate, red raspberry juice concentrate, elderberry juice concentrate, boysenberry juice concentrate, natural flavor, water), blackberry juice concentrate, citric acid, natural flavor, cellulose gum, mono and diglycerides, beet juice concentrate color, elderberry juice concentrate, guar gum, turmeric extract color, ascorbic acid (vitamin c), carrageenan, dextrose, gum arabic, polysorbate 80, beta carotene, isomalt, modified corn starch, corn starch
Photo Credit: Ruth Hartnup